Monday, August 23, 2010

5 Greats of the 80's

The other day at work I watched an 80's movie that I had never heard of before. It is called 'Big Trouble in Little Tokyo'.
It Was Awesome.
Kurt Russel. John Carpenter. Demons. Kung Fu. Ridiculous. Amazing.

This reminded me of many great 80's flicks. Here are my current favorite five action comedies of the 80's:
5) Big Trouble in Little Tokyo


4) Romancing the Stone
Micheal Douglas when he wasn't old and creepy. Danny Devito. Villains with crocodile pits. Suave mambo dancing cut scene.


3) The Goonies
Little Asian kid from the Temple of Doom. Chunk. Villains falling on their delicate bits chasing the heroes. Great pirate parallels. Sean Ashton. "Hey you Guys!".


2) Who is Harry Crumb
"I've been so thoroughly trained that I don't even have to think before I speak". Chasing a plane on a stair car. Best use of Bonnie Tyler's- 'I need a Hero' ever... Period. Tic Tac Toe on a strangers stomach. Brilliant. Fat Guy Hero.


1) Better Off Dead
John Cusack, Blowing up Moms. "I want my Two Dollars". How to pick up trashy women. Testicles/tentacles. Skiing montage. Van Halen Claymation Hamburger.




It just dawned on me that there is no such thing as a top five for awesome 80's comedies. As I review my list, these movies have flooded my mind:
The Three Amigos
Fletch
Airplane
Breakfast Club
National Lampoon Movies
FERRIS BUELLER
Caddy Shack
Spaceballs

*Sigh. Why do movies suck these days? This is an open invitation to share your fondest memories of 80's cinema.

3 comments:

The Rage said...

Better Off Dead is not just the greatest 80's movie BUT (dare I say it?) one of the greatest movies of all time and history!

politicchic6 said...

I am happy to see Better Off Dead on the list as well. So many great quotable quotes.

smithfieldman said...

I was going to watch Better Off Dead for a month while I was in K-can, but I just never got around to it. One day I'll watch that gem again.