Tuesday, March 26, 2013

New thing I will be doing: Movie Trailer Reviews

That is right. I have no time these days. I cannot get to the theaters very often and the list of movies that I would like to watch grows longer. Since I can't watch the real movie, I have over the last year or so become more and more obsessed with watching movie trailers (previews for you old-timers out there). I feel like this is often just as good as watching the movie, and so I will start a recurring post theme where I review the a few trailers, since I will likely never see the movies. The criteria you ask? I'll keep it simple: Would watch based on trailer (WW), Would not watch based on trailer (WN), or "I already hate this movie" (AH). So, WW = +, WN = -, and AH = --.

First movie: "Turbo"
This warmed my heart. It seems at first brush a re-do of "Cars," (which is already in the works with "Planes," but that is not at issue presently). Seems like a snail who wants to go fast gets some kind of magical transformation when he falls into the Nitrogenous Oxide and there seems to be the typical crew of buddies that he meets in realizing his dreams. Pretty standard cartoon movie stuff. Looks funny enough: WW

Second movie: "Blood Runs Cold"
I don't mind horror movies. I think they have a time and a place. I am not into gore movies, and that is what this is. There are some gore movies that may have a plot (haven't seen that many) but this one seems not to have one. For those that like these kind of movies, you'll probably enjoy this. I thought it looked stupid already. I do not like trailers that exhibit zero imagination. This one was typical cut shots of a scary slasher closing in on victims with a idiotic sounding phrase slowly spelled out in between. Cue the loud breathing/trembling hand holding lighter scene where you get one last look at the 'scary dude.' Looks even less worth seeing then others of this genre: WN

Third movie: "World War Z"
I enjoy end of the world science fiction, hence, I like zombie movies. However, there is a certain love/hate with zombie movies. I can't stand movies that are super silly. the 'slow zombie' is pretty lame, because, unless the story is clear about how things fell apart, I assume that slow zombies wouldn't have much chance against modern weapons. This movie is a 'fast zombie' movie it would seem, and therefore much more believable/scary. I like Brad Pitt generally, and so this seems like an interesting flick. The trailer has enough zombie hoard shots to let you know what it is about, but it thankfully hints that there is an actually storyline. I think this movie would be something like "I Am Legend," which I enjoyed: WW

Fourth movie: "Angels' Share"
I like accents from the UK, don't we all? This is supposedly a comedy, but it didn't seem very funny from the trailer. This seems to be a story of a kid who is on the wrong side of the law who is trying to reform who then has the opportunity to pull one last heist, seemingly to redeem himself and to allow himself a 'second chance' or the ability to 'give up on crime.' These movies can be really good, or really crappy. I get the impression this is the low budget Brit film that gets tossed over to the states every now and again, and I am not really impressed with the trailer. Even if it is about the whiskey industry: WN





1 comment:

politicchic6 said...

I probably would only watch The Angel's Share, and possibly World War Z, but I'd want to read the book first so I could hate the movie. You know how I roll!